The first international Australasian conference on wave science
17—19 February, 2014
Venue: Newcastle City Hall
KOZWaves logo designed by
The conference proceedings are now available for download.
The conference schedule has been posted.
The registration form can be downloaded from here. The deadline for early-bird
rates is 31st January, 2014. See below for registration details.
The abstract submission deadline has passed. However, if you
still wish to submit an abstract for KOZWaves, please do so, on the
understanding that we might not be able to accommodate your talk. We
will contact you in the new year.
Click here to enter the abstract submission system. Your abstract should be 100-200 words long. The
deadline for submissions was Sunday 15th December, 2013. You can use $\LaTeX$ in your abstracts.
- Dr Michael Meylan, University of Newcastle
- Prof Ross McPhedran, University of Sydney
- Dr Luke Bennetts, University of Adelaide
- Dr Chris Poulton, University of Technology Sydney
- Dr Alison Kohout, National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, NZ
About the conference
KOZWaves will be the first international Australasian conference on wave science. It will provide a forum for contemporary
research on wave science to be disseminated between the different branches of wave theory and its applications.
It will promote interdisciplinary collaborations between Australasian wave scientists, and also with leading international
The overarching aim of KOZWaves is to accelerate research progress in the various application areas of wave science conducted in
Australasia, by sharing recent research advances and exploiting the mathematical connection between the different types of wave
KOZWaves will focus, in particular, on development of theoretical and numerical tools to analyse waves. This will result in more
accurate predictions of wave behaviours, and understanding how to control the unique properties of waves for our benefit.
KOZWaves will consider technical questions under the following categories.
- Wave propagation in periodic media
- Wave propagation in complex and random media
- Forward and inverse scattering
- Fast computational techniques
- Nonlinear wave phenomena
- Water waves and coastal modeling
- Wave energy devices
- Extreme ocean waves
- Medical and seismic imaging
- Waves in polar regions and environmental science
Confirmed Invited Speakers
The following is a list of confirmed invited speakers.
- Prof Alex Babanin, Swinburne University of Technology, Australia
- Dr Anne-Sophie Bonnet, ENSTAParistech, France
- Prof Lindsay Botten, Australian National University, Australia
- Prof Kenneth Golden, University of Utah, USA
- Dr Paul Martin, Colorado School of Mines, USA
- Prof Graeme Milton, University of Utah, USA
- Prof Natasha Movchan, Liverpool University, UK
- Dr Vincent Pagneux, University of Le Mans, France
- Prof Vernon Squire, University of Otago, New Zealand
The conference will be held at the Newcastle City Hall.
The conference schedule has been posted.
This event is sponsored by the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute (AMSI). AMSI allocates
a travel allowance annually to each of its member universities. Students or early career
researchers from AMSI member universities without access to a suitable research grant or other
source of funding may apply to their Head of Mathematical Sciences for subsidy of travel,
accommodation and registration fee for out of the departmental travel allowance.
Registration costs are as follows:
| ||EARLY BIRD|
|AMSI/AustMS Member Registration||$300||$450|
|Single Day Registration||$100||$150|
- The Clarendon Hotel (02) 4907 6700, 0.3 km
- Crowne Plaza Newcastle (02) 4907 5000, 0.5 km
- Chifley Hotel Apartments (02) 4910 4910, 0.7 km
- Quest Newcastle Serviced Apartments (02) 4928 8000, 0.7 km
- Travelodge Newcastle (02) 4926 3777, 0.9 km
- Hotel Ibis Newcastle (02) 4925 2266, 1.0 km
- Backpackers by the Beach (02) 4926 3472, 1.3 km
- Novotel Newcastle Beach (02) 4032 3700, 1.4 km
- Newcastle Beach YHA (02) 4925 3544, 1.4 km
- Noah's on the Beach (02) 4929 5181, 1.8 km
Sydney Airport to Newcastle
For those arriving at Sydney Airport we recommend taking the train to Newcastle. Take the
Airport & East Hills train from Domestic/International Airport Station to
Central Station and then the Newcastle and Central Coast train from
Central Station to Newcastle Station. From Newcastle Station it is an
easy walk to the recommended hotels. For more information and/or to plan your exact trip times
see the CityRail website at www.cityrail.info.
Alternatively, there is the Happy
Cabby Airport Shuttle Service which you will need to book in advance.
Newcastle Airport to Newcastle
For those arriving at the Newcastle Airport we recommend taking a taxi to Newcastle. The
taxi rank is adjacent to the arrivals area of the terminal. Newcastle Taxis can be contacted
directly, free-of-charge, on the dedicated taxi phone located in the arrivals end of the
Alternatively, you can catch the 130 or 131 bus from the Newcastle
Airport to the Newcastle Station. From Newcastle Station it is an easy
walk to the recommended hotels. For more information and/or to plan your exact trip times see
the CityRail website or the Port Stephens Coaches
Local Transportation in Newcastle
Newcastle Taxis: bookings can be made
online or by calling 133 300 within Australia.
Newcastle Buses: the free green 555 Newcastle
Shuttle Bus runs every 20 minutes, seven days a week, on a continuous loop around the city
If you have any questions, please contact
Telephone: (02) 492 16792
Facimile: (02) 492 16898